The history of Il Greppo, the 25 hectare vineyard in the heart of Montalcino, dates back to the 18th Century when Clemente Santi started to make wines with 100% Sangiovese.
Clemente passed his wine knowledge onto his nephew, Ferruccio Biondi Santi, who, after the phyloxera came in the second half of 1800s, isolated a clone of Sangiovese that gave birth to wines of extraordinary longevity. In 1888, Ferruccio produced the first bottle of Brunello di Montalcino.
His son Tancredi, a wine maker with a remarkable reputation, set the Brunello standard for production and introduced the wine to the international market, where it quickly received noteworthy recognition.
Franco, Tancredi’s son and trained oenologist, worked closely with his father for decades, and he mastered the subtle art of making wine. Following strict, traditional methods of agronomy and cellar practices, he has steadfastly produced an incomparable collection of Brunello Riserva equal to the exceptional 100 year-old Brunellos of the past.
The guardian of this long tradition is now Franco’s son, Jacopo Biondi Santi, the sixth generation of the family at the Estate, together with his son, Tancredi.
In the early 1990’s, Jacopo bought the Castle of Montepo’ in Scansano (the former Italian home of novelist Graham Greene) and, following a comprehensive review of the estate, planted 50 hectares of vineyard; much with their own BBS11 clone of Sangiovese. Harnessing the expertise honed at Il Greppo, Jacopo has established an estate in Maremma worthy of the Biondi-Santi name, producing wines of optimal softness with bold fruit flavours, contrasting beautifully to the intense richness of the Montalcino fine wines.